Live streaming is the new frontier in the world of content sharing. It has become an essential part of how we communicate and spread information.
Many platforms, such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, and others, help to facilitate this marketing arsenal. Each has their own set of traits.
Twitch is especially popular among gamers. It entices content creators with a passion for this field to join and share their knowledge with their followers.
If you’re a Twitch streamer, you have several options for broadcasting your content.
While streaming on a PC is becoming more popular due to its customizability, broadcasting on a PS4 is also an option.
If you’re wondering how to stream on Twitch on a PS4, we’ve compiled a wealth of information for you.
Also Read: How To Activate Twitch TV?
How to Stream on Twitch on a PS4?
- On the home screen, select the ‘Share’ button from the horizontal menu bar. Doing this will launch all options under the category. Scroll down until you find ‘Sharing and Broadcast Settings’. Select it, and then click on ‘Broadcast Settings’ from the list, and then ‘Advanced Settings’.
- For the record, a specific PlayStation camera needs to be connected to the console since it’s not going to work with a regular webcam. Make sure to tick the option that reads‘ Include Video from PlayStation Camera in Broadcast’, and right under it you can modify the settings of the device to enhance the stream quality.
- Feel free to tweak the ‘Camera Video Settings’ if you want. From the list, there’s also a shortcut to ‘Audio Sharing Settings’. Click that to enable important parameters like ‘Share Party Audio’, ‘Include Microphone Audio in Video Clips’, and ‘Include Microphone Audio in Broadcasts’. Leave a checkmark on each option to turn it on.
- Go back to ‘Advanced Settings’, tick ‘Display Message to Spectators and Spectators’ Comments’ if you want to spice up the screen with an interactive chat box. Otherwise, skip this altogether, especially if it shrinks the gameplay window too much for your taste. Mind you, the ‘Message to Spectators’ option is automatically highlighted when the chat box is activated. Set it to off, and this will dim as well.
- Once you’re done with the settings, launch any game to broadcast to Twitch.
Also Read: Can You Stream on Twitch from Mobile?
- While doing so, link your Twitch account to your PS4. Use the controller to fire up ‘Settings’, and then choose ‘Account Management’, followed by clicking ‘Link With Other Services’. You’ll be prompted with two options, Twitch and Youtube. Choose the first one, and then follow the log-in instructions.
- Setup is easy either way, so be it Twitch or Youtube, you should have no problem syncing your account with either platform. It will ask for a verification code during the setup process. You can input it using a mobile or PC browser. This part is critical to authorizing access and verifying the legitimacy of your identity. It can also be substituted with a QR code by means of a smartphone.
- To start sharing content, hit the ‘Share’ button on the controller. Select ‘Broadcast Gameplay’, and then Twitch. For a proper setup, check the box that says ‘Include Video From Playstation Camera in Broadcast’ along with the other boxes on the right side of the thumbnail. If you skip this, the mic won’t pick up your voice and the gameplay window won’t display the chat section.
- Don’t forget to insert a title for the stream. Something that piques people’s interests would be fantastic to drive clicks.
Also Read: How to Stream on Twitch on a Windows 10 PC?
- Right below the title, you can pick the desired stream quality. While a higher resolution is technically better, it’s not always ideal for viewers as it potentially causes buffering. This inconvenience can turn some viewers away. To be on the safe side, select a setting that would work for the majority of viewers, like 720p – high (60fps), unless you use encoding to let viewers manually adjust the quality.
- You can also invite other players to enjoy the Twitch stream and announce it via Twitter by checking the box next to the bird icon. Now you’re all set for the live gaming experience. To complete the process, click the ‘Start Broadcasting’ button.
What Do You Need to Stream on PS4?
To stream directly from a PS4, you’ll need the console and a fast internet connection. The latter is important because you do not want to experience connectivity problems while broadcasting your content.
To ensure a smooth quality and experience, the upload speed should be stable at or above 5Mbps. You can test your internet connection speed using a third-party service such as speedtest.net or fast.com.
You can find a number of speed checkers on the internet simply by typing a relevant keyword into Google.
On the other hand, this method of streaming does not support webcam integration, which means you cannot stream using this peripheral. It necessitates the use of a specialized device known as the PlayStation camera.
The built-in mic in your headphones will suffice for the microphone. If you want to stream directly from a console, installing a dedicated mic is simply not an option. Another prerequisite is a Twitch account. Simply register if you haven’t already.
Also Read: How to Stream on Twitch on a Macbook Air?
Do I Need a Capture Card to Stream on PS4?
No, it is not required, but if you want to improve the quality of your stream with overlays and other graphics, a capture card is well worth the money.
While streaming from a console is more convenient, it is also less customizable than streaming from a desktop PC.
So, if you have a strong interest in this career path, investing in the necessary tools to increase production value is highly recommended.
In this scenario, a capture card is useful because it collects data from the PS4 console for further processing with encoding software. A capture card, in essence, allows you to improve a broadcast before it is transmitted to a streaming platform and consumed by viewers.
Another advantage of this streaming method is that it removes some of the workload from the console, as long as computing processes are handled by your PC resources.
Why Can’t I Stream on Twitch from my PS4?
If you followed the steps correctly, there should be no problems.
However, if you are unable to stream on Twitch from a PS4, there is one minor issue that may disrupt or prevent your broadcast from beginning, namely Two Factor Authorization, or 2FA.
This is a requirement, so please enable it to resolve the ‘Preparing’ notification that appears on the screen. You can visit the Twitch website for the complete tutorial.
Wrapping Things Up
You now know how to stream on Twitch from a PlayStation 4.
This method of sharing gameplay videos is very convenient because it eliminates the need to learn about software encoders and other complicated technology.
The disadvantage is that you must make sacrifices in terms of how the stream appears to viewers.
It’s mostly due to a lack of opportunities to include interactive elements.
If you want to maximize the potential of your broadcast, a capture card is a better option because it allows you to incorporate different scenes, transitions, and overlays.
Furthermore, it supports picture-in-picture mode. Overall, both are fantastic in their own right, so it all comes down to the streaming capabilities you seek.